Monday, April 4, 2011

Customer Comment

I've never been one to be exclusive to particular brands or stores.  I suppose I can attribute this to living in the suburbs for more than half of my life, or perhaps I've just never been so incredibly wow-ed by one particular place that I've found the need to do so.  Boycotting, on the other hand.. now that I can do.  Never will I step foot into a Wal-Mart, Chick-Fil-A, or anywhere that plays FOX news on TV.  However, it seems that these days stores want you to be a shareholder even if you've not the slightest interest.  


When I first moved to Charleston and to my first Charleston apartment on King Street, CVS Pharmacy was the closest place to pick up drugs, champagne, cigarettes, and perhaps some lonely college student all in one go.  (I kid on that last part, maybe).  However, it became excruciatingly aggravating at each time I'd walk up to check out that I'd be asked for my "CVS customer rewards card".  I was immediately frustrated each time I had to answer this question.  If I said no, I would be given a 5 minute long encouragement as to why it would benefit me, regardless of whether or not there were 20 people waiting in line behind me or not.  If I said yes, I would then have to lie and say that I could use a phone number for it.  After giving out all of the phone numbers of my friends and family that I had memorized and still failing, the bitches at the counter would finally just let me use the goddamn store card.  Thank God.  


However, in my most recent trip to CVS, before anyone could ask me if I had my frequent flier mile card, I asked to apply for one.  Right then and there, I was handed a huge red piece of plastic and given the discount.  Yep, that easy.  Why didn't anyone tell me it would be that simplistic?  I don't give a shit to continue patronage at CVS rather than any other pharmacy, especially now that I live closer to Rite Aid and Burbage's, but it's nice to know that I'm over the phase of my life that I would once dread walking into the place.


corporatism at its finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment